What is Epoxy coating?
In this modern world where beautification of our floor is quite important, it is a major necessity that we employ the best of epoxy coatings for the floor. Epoxy coating employs the used of epoxy compounds as paint which is mixed before application after which hardener is applied.
Epoxy coatings are the end product of a balanced chemical reaction between epoxy resin and polymer hardener; curing takes place which doesn’t have a specific duration after which the liquid epoxy coating turns into a perfectly strong and durable solid, accompanied with resistance to high temperature and strong mechanical properties.
Why should you use Epoxy coating?
The fact that epoxy coatings could be used for varieties of purpose is one of the major reasons it is widely accepted, the diverse users of epoxy coatings range from manufacturing plants, marine applications, in composite materials like fiberglass and carbon fiber, in automotive and electrical use.
The durability and strength of epoxy coatings is also a factor to consider; this coating can serve a variety of purpose ranging from durable paints, strong adhesives to coatings for floor and metals.
Epoxy coatings are also environmentally safe, has a low maintenance cost and adds aesthetic values to your floor.
Types of Epoxy coating
The following are the best types of epoxy coatings we have for floors; it is advisable you pick the best for you floor based on the types listed below:
- Self-leveling epoxy coatings: This type is easy to install on new or old concrete floors creating a smooth surface, they can be used in the kitchens, garages, storage houses, dining rooms, and office
- Mortar epoxy coatings: The strongest of all epoxy floor is the mortar epoxy coating, it is widely used in heavy industrial applications and can be used to repair cracks before other types of epoxy are laid.
- Self-Dispersing Epoxy Coatings: This type of epoxy coating is commonly used in areas that receive frequent forklift or heavy truck traffic as it has very good mechanical strength. Another type of this durable epoxy coating is self-dispersing epoxy with quartz sand which is commonly used in food processing industries or other locations where liquids are present because it has good anti-slip characteristics.
- Graveled Epoxy Coatings: This epoxy coating offers the most beautiful flooring choice. You can add a logo, brand marks and decorative details to the floors. Closely related to this is the Epoxy Terrazzo floor which also can be very decorative especially in hallways, entrances, schools, and office buildings.
Using Epoxy for Outdoor and Indoor Flooring
Epoxy floors are versatile. They can be used for both indoor and outdoor places. This is because they are durable and add beauty to any landscape. Some of the places where epoxy is most commonly used include:
- Pool Decks
The benefit of using epoxy flooring solutions for indoor and outdoor areas are quite numerous. Epoxy floors can be adapted to non-slip in nature which is excellent for pool areas, sidewalk, and areas where water and slipping can be a danger.
Due to the variety of beautiful epoxy color and designs, the epoxy floor can be used for interior designs or areas. This is because of its finishes of matte or high polish, to its texture available in many stone details. Epoxy flooring can also be designed to suit any décor. Epoxy flooring is not only designer-friendly, but it is also 100 percent environmentally friendly.
How can I use Epoxy coating for flooring?
The fun part is the application of epoxy coating for your floor; although we have lots of professional floor coating companies such as Epoxy Central that can do the job, it tends to be cost-saving and thrilling doing it yourself.
- Clean the floor and move away from all forms of furniture. Also, stains should be removed.
- Once the floor has been tested for suitability, the sander or grinder comes into play, if you can’t access a grinder, a board of sandpaper on the end of a long pole can be used as a mop on the floor
- All chips, divots, and joints that are not well-aligned needs to be repaired, the cracks should be filled up, and nails or screw tightened so they won’t be out of alignment.
- Primer Application: Once the entire floor surface has been prepped for coating, it is time to apply the primer. The primer is applied just like paint and allowed to settle for several hours before the epoxy goes on. This process is straightforward and requires general painting tools, like a roller and a splash pan.
Directions on the epoxy bottle should be followed, but they generally resemble the following instructions: First, cover the floor in a thin layer of water. Then, dump all your needed epoxy on the ground. Using a roller pin on a pole, spread the epoxy out in a thin layer across the entire floor space. Allow the epoxy to set, usually for about five to six hours.
- Finisher Application: Once the primer has dried, it is time to apply the second coat; epoxy finisher. The finisher is applied in the same manner as the primer, minus the water base. Once the finisher has been allowed to sit overnight, the floor should look like a showroom. A quick sweep and a polish and the floor will be attractive, easy to clean and damage free
The world is moving at a fast pace; it is time to let your floor enjoy the numerous distinct advantages of epoxy coating. You don’t need much financially or time-wise before you can use epoxy coating for your floor. Why don’t you contact Epoxy Central for a professional epoxy coating service, consultations, and products at an affordable rate today?
Shushan Joseph is a freelance writing expert based in Atlanta while working with clients globally. Feel free to get in touch with Shushan if you want to improve your organic traffic conversion through the use of content creation.